Wednesday, 11 September 2013

A Letter To Sam

Dear Sam,

You are so brave.

I think it was your Auntie who stood up in my Gran's church in Newark about a year and a half ago. She told the congregation that they needed to raise money somehow to support your treatment in Belgium. They were stuck for ideas and asked for prayer to help them get going.

I felt that I wanted to do something to help you in whatever way I could, so although I couldn't donate much at the time, I was assured by your relative that this small amount would still go a long way.

I kept praying for you and checking up on your progress after that through my Gran. I saw you in the newspaper my Gran sent me about you carrying the Olympic torch through part of Newark - I sifted through BBC iPlayer to find you so I could tell her I saw you run!

I remember Gran telling me that your condition was improving and the tumour had stopped growing. I looked through articles on the Newark Advertiser saying that you had sailed with Dame Ellen MacArthur and had spoken to the Belgian Parliament to highlight the importance of research for your condition.

I won't be able to make it to your service next Tuesday. I promise to pray for your family and friends though, and at least you're not in pain any more.

I didn't know you, but it still makes me sad.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

Cancer is monstrous.

Sam White, aged 16 from Newark, you are quite possibly the bravest young man I never got the opportunity to meet.
Have fun up there. God's got you safe now.


Sam White was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumour at the age of 12 and a half.
With the help of pioneering treatment in Belgium which began in April 2012, mostly paid for with the help of donations, the cancerous growth stopped expanding by around Christmas 2012.
However, his immune system became weak and he died from an infection on Tuesday 3rd September 2013.

Rest in Peace Sam x



(I found out some of the factual information from the Newark Advertiser [Internet: 5th September 2013] to give you all a bit of context after my Gran had texted me the news. He was so brave and as I had been praying for him and thinking of him often, I thought it would be right to create a small tribute to his life. Again, it's not much, but I hope people will know how brave Sam had been.)


No comments:

Post a Comment